This program began in 2014 and gives burn survivors, their families and close friends an opportunity to get together with burn care professionals, firefighters and other interested parties to enjoy each other’s company, share experiences and network.
Burn Survivors Together (BST) is a joint initiative of St. Florian Fire and Burn Foundation and the University of Iowa Burn Treatment Center, in partnership with local fire departments and service organizations. The mission is to gather people together whose lives have been and continue to be affected by burn injuries – burn survivors, family members, care providers, and firefighters – to:
- connect members of the burn community in a geographical area;
- educate them about resources, support opportunities, and burn community events; and
- plant the seeds for ongoing social and support events in each area
BST gatherings in 2017:
- Saturday, March 4 – Waterloo at Waterloo Fire Rescue – 425 E 3rd St
- Saturday, March 11 – Bettendorf at the Surrey Heights Fire Station – 5002 Crow Creek Road, hosted by Bettendorf Fire, Rescue & Emergency Services Department
- Saturday, April 1 – Sioux City at Fire Station 3 – 2630 3rd St., hosted by Sioux City Fire Rescue and IAFF Local 7 Sioux City Professional Fire Fighters
- Saturday, April 8 – West Des Moines at West Des Moines Fire Station 18 – 5025 Grand Avenue (Interstate 35 and Grand Ave, Exit 69), hosted by West Des Moines Fire Department and IAFF Local 3586 West Des Moines Professional Fire Fighters
- Saturday, May 6 – Iowa City at Moose Family Center – 3151 Hwy 6 East
The events were held on Saturdays from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm and will include meet and greet time, a tour of the fire station, lunch, and a presentation on available programs and support. These gatherings have all been well received, with a combined attendance of about 70 and many expressions of appreciation and continued interest. In the future, we would like to expand this program to include additional cities.
If you are interested in hosting or attending a BST Event, please contact Nancy Johnson at or .